Kerala to get five kumki elephants from Karnataka
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala will soon receive five `kumki` elephants from neighbouring Karnataka to form an elephant squad to restrain rogue and invading jumbos in forest-fringe areas.
`Kumki` elephants are domesticated and trained captive pachyderms, used to keep stray wild jumbos under control.
A team of Kerala Forest Department officials recently visited an elephant camp at Rampur, located under Bandipur Tiger Reserve in Karnataka and examined the domesticated jumbos there as part of the plan, sources said.
"The Kerala government has already issued orders to form the elephant squad. We expect to get the service of five kumki jumbos from Karnataka for our proposed elephant squad. Karnataka has given us an assuarance in this regard," department sources told PTI.
"Besides Rampur camp, some more elephant camps may be visited soon to monitor the activities of kumki jumbos. We hope that we can soon bring them to Kerala," they said.
A forest range officer had already been appointed for the proposed elephant squad, the sources added.
The first such squad would be formed at the sprawling Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary in upland district Wayanad, which frequently witnesses a large number of incidents of elephant herds straying into human settlements and destroying crops.
The kumki jumbos would be used for a range of activities, including to restrain wild jumbos entering into human settlements and send them back them to forests.
Elephant squad is one of the measures initiated by the state government to keep forest fringe areas from wild jumbo menace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India