Kerala to host India`s first biodiversity congress
Thiruvananthapuram: The first ever National Biodiversity Congress will be hosted by the state capital December, K.P. Laladhas, member secretary of the Kerala State Biodiversity Board (KSBB), the main organiser of the event, said Wednesday.
This is an event that will henceforth be conducted annually, and it is expected to be the most important meeting of academics and field activists working on issues of biodiversity, Laladhas said.
"The objective of this event is to focus on challenges and frame strategies for protecting the unique biodiversity of our country. An exhibition showcasing the bio-world of the country would be held, and the National Biodiversity Students` Congress would also be held to train young people to handle the nation`s natural wealth with care," Laladhas said.
The first NBC, to be held Dec 27-30, will be organised by the National Biodiversity Authority in collaboration with state biodiversity boards. All other organisations involved in conservation efforts in the country would also be included, Laladhas said.
The focal theme of NBC 2012 would be "Biodiversity for food security". The meet will see sessions on organic farming, the role of science and technology in access and benefit-sharing of bio resources, and people`s participation in biodiversity conservation.
A special session on "Western Ghats in World Heritage Status: Challenges and Opportunities" is also scheduled as part of the congress.
Members of the academic and research community, NGOs, policy makers, consulting firms and officials in central and state government departments who work for conservation of nature and biodiversity are expected to attend.
"The meeting would also provide an opportunity for interaction with custodians of traditional knowledge," said Laladhas.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!