Kerala to host India`s first biodiversity congress
Thiruvananthapuram: The first ever National Biodiversity Congress will be hosted by the state capital December, K.P. Laladhas, member secretary of the Kerala State Biodiversity Board (KSBB), the main organiser of the event, said Wednesday.
This is an event that will henceforth be conducted annually, and it is expected to be the most important meeting of academics and field activists working on issues of biodiversity, Laladhas said.
"The objective of this event is to focus on challenges and frame strategies for protecting the unique biodiversity of our country. An exhibition showcasing the bio-world of the country would be held, and the National Biodiversity Students` Congress would also be held to train young people to handle the nation`s natural wealth with care," Laladhas said.
The first NBC, to be held Dec 27-30, will be organised by the National Biodiversity Authority in collaboration with state biodiversity boards. All other organisations involved in conservation efforts in the country would also be included, Laladhas said.
The focal theme of NBC 2012 would be "Biodiversity for food security". The meet will see sessions on organic farming, the role of science and technology in access and benefit-sharing of bio resources, and people`s participation in biodiversity conservation.
A special session on "Western Ghats in World Heritage Status: Challenges and Opportunities" is also scheduled as part of the congress.
Members of the academic and research community, NGOs, policy makers, consulting firms and officials in central and state government departments who work for conservation of nature and biodiversity are expected to attend.
"The meeting would also provide an opportunity for interaction with custodians of traditional knowledge," said Laladhas.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test