Kerala to host national biodiversity meet
Thiruvananthapuram: The country`s first national biodiversity congress will be held here next month to discuss various issues concerning biodiversity, ecology and environment with food security as the focal theme.
Vice President Hamid Ansari would inaugurate the four-day "National Biodiversity Congress-India 2012" (NBC), jointly organised by the National Biodiversity Authority of India and State Biodiversity Boards at Kanakakunnu Palace here on December 27.
Kerala Governor H R Bhardwaj, Union Ministers Jayanti Natarajan and Sashi Tharoor, Former President A P J Abdul Kalam, K Kasthuri Rangan and Sam Pitroda are expected to participate in the event, Kerala State Biodiversity Board (KSBB) officials said here today.
National Biodiversity Authority (NBA) Chairman Balakrishna Pisupati told a press meet here today the meet would bring together various stakeholder groups to work out policies for conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity.
"Biodiversity for food security" would be the focal theme of NBC 2012, to be attended by a large number of experts, academics, researchers, stakeholders and students from within and outside the country.
A special session on "Western Ghats in World Heritage Status: Challenges and Opportunities" was also planned to bring into focus serious threats faced by the Western Ghats and to gear up the conservation initiatives.
A biodiversity expo, as part of the Congress, would be inaugurated by Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on December 21.
Students` biodiversity congress and capacity building workshops would also be held as part of the event.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon