Kerala to host national biodiversity meet
Thiruvananthapuram: The country`s first national biodiversity congress will be held here next month to discuss various issues concerning biodiversity, ecology and environment with food security as the focal theme.
Vice President Hamid Ansari would inaugurate the four-day "National Biodiversity Congress-India 2012" (NBC), jointly organised by the National Biodiversity Authority of India and State Biodiversity Boards at Kanakakunnu Palace here on December 27.
Kerala Governor H R Bhardwaj, Union Ministers Jayanti Natarajan and Sashi Tharoor, Former President A P J Abdul Kalam, K Kasthuri Rangan and Sam Pitroda are expected to participate in the event, Kerala State Biodiversity Board (KSBB) officials said here today.
National Biodiversity Authority (NBA) Chairman Balakrishna Pisupati told a press meet here today the meet would bring together various stakeholder groups to work out policies for conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity.
"Biodiversity for food security" would be the focal theme of NBC 2012, to be attended by a large number of experts, academics, researchers, stakeholders and students from within and outside the country.
A special session on "Western Ghats in World Heritage Status: Challenges and Opportunities" was also planned to bring into focus serious threats faced by the Western Ghats and to gear up the conservation initiatives.
A biodiversity expo, as part of the Congress, would be inaugurated by Chief Minister Oommen Chandy on December 21.
Students` biodiversity congress and capacity building workshops would also be held as part of the event.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference