Kerala to set up a body to conserve fresh water lake
Thiruvananthapuram: Kerala government has decided to set up an Authority for protection and conservation of Sasthamkotta fresh water lake in Kollam district which was facing threat of pollution.
It was also decided to declare the lake and neighbouring areas as protected areas.
A decision in this regard was taken at a meeting chaired by Chief Minister Oommen Chandy here last night.
Following the decision, Kovoor Kunjumon, MLA from Kunnathur constituency, under which the lake falls, called off his five-day old fast before the secretariat late in night.
Kunjumon had been demanding that the lake be declared as a protected area, as it is the largest fresh water lake in Kerala.
A 15-member steering committee headed by Chief Secretary will prepare a management action plan for protecting the lake within 15 days.
Speaking at the meeting, Chandy said steps will be taken for protection of the lake. Co-operation and support of the local bodies and public will be sought, he said.
Sand mining and other illegal activities in this region will be strictly banned. Alternative arrangements will be made to those who are to be rehabilitated, Chandy said.
Acacia trees which consume large quantity of water will be replaced with other trees. Instruction will be given to chop off acacia trees in private land as well. Support of gram panchayat and other social organisations will be sought to plant fresh trees in these areas.
Steps will be taken to acquire paddy lands that were filled. The detailed action plan will be declared at Sasthamkotta on June 14.
Union Minister Kodikunnil Suresh, state ministers P J Joseph and Shibu Baby John were among those who attended the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India