Kolkata ranks 7th highest in climate change in coming decades
Kolkata: Kolkata is a climate vulnerable city and according to a study ranked seventh in the global list of cities facing the highest climate change in the coming decades, British Deputy High Commissioner (Eastern India), Sanjay Wadhwani said Thursday.
"We know that climate change will impact business and the Kolkata economy in sectors such as buildings, power, water and energy supply," Wadhwani said, announcing the launch of a study by the Centre for Low Carbon Futures (CLCF) and Jadavpur University.
Backed by the British Deputy High Commission, the study `The Economis of a Low Carbon Kolkata as part of the 10 Climate Smart Cities` would be conducted in the Kolkata Metropolitan Area ?nd would help identify relevant policies to attract investment.
The KMA was chosen for the study because it is one of the 10 largest cities in the world and is growing at a rapid rate.
Jadavpur University Professor Joyashree Roy said the programme would create a global network of cities representing different climates and states of development and reflecting varied approaches to green growth and concerns relating to climate change mitigation and adaptation.
"We will identify the projects for reducing carbon emissions and green growth. We will also suggest cost effective ways for implementation of those projects," Roy said.
West Bengal Pollution Control Board (WBPCB) Chairman Binay K Datta said, "We will have to streamline issues and areas before making a bigger plan for energy conservation.
"One-third of the water supply in the city is wasted because of silly reasons like pipe leakage, we need to plug such loopholes," he said.
"Even transport, we need more of elevated and underground metros to stop too much dependency on fuel-based transport," he said.
He added that even housing projects needed to be designed in a way that lights and other electricity-based connections are wisely used.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues