Kolkata ranks 7th highest in climate change in coming decades
Kolkata: Kolkata is a climate vulnerable city and according to a study ranked seventh in the global list of cities facing the highest climate change in the coming decades, British Deputy High Commissioner (Eastern India), Sanjay Wadhwani said Thursday.
"We know that climate change will impact business and the Kolkata economy in sectors such as buildings, power, water and energy supply," Wadhwani said, announcing the launch of a study by the Centre for Low Carbon Futures (CLCF) and Jadavpur University.
Backed by the British Deputy High Commission, the study `The Economis of a Low Carbon Kolkata as part of the 10 Climate Smart Cities` would be conducted in the Kolkata Metropolitan Area ?nd would help identify relevant policies to attract investment.
The KMA was chosen for the study because it is one of the 10 largest cities in the world and is growing at a rapid rate.
Jadavpur University Professor Joyashree Roy said the programme would create a global network of cities representing different climates and states of development and reflecting varied approaches to green growth and concerns relating to climate change mitigation and adaptation.
"We will identify the projects for reducing carbon emissions and green growth. We will also suggest cost effective ways for implementation of those projects," Roy said.
West Bengal Pollution Control Board (WBPCB) Chairman Binay K Datta said, "We will have to streamline issues and areas before making a bigger plan for energy conservation.
"One-third of the water supply in the city is wasted because of silly reasons like pipe leakage, we need to plug such loopholes," he said.
"Even transport, we need more of elevated and underground metros to stop too much dependency on fuel-based transport," he said.
He added that even housing projects needed to be designed in a way that lights and other electricity-based connections are wisely used.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical