KSK`s hydel project in Arunachal gets the red signal
Hyderabad: The Environment Ministry has declined clearance to hydel power project of the KSK group saying the unit proposed in Arunanchal Pradesh may fall under an area demarcated for a wildlife sanctuary, and is close to the Pakke Tiger Reserve.
The KSK group company, Kameng Dam Hydro Power Pvt Ltd, is working on the 420-MW hydel power project, which has already been relocated once.
While denying the clearance, the Expert Appraisal Committee (EAC) of the Ministry of Environment and Forest has suggested that the company relocate the project, as it may fall under a Wildlife Sanctuary, National Park and Sample Plots demarcated by the Forest Department.
"After discussing all the alternatives at length, the Committee felt that even Alternative 2B (new site) is also not suitable as constructing a dam so close to the Pakke Tiger Reserve would not be advisable," the EAC observed in its comments.
EAC said the site is suitable from various angles but is adjoining to Pakke Tiger Reserve, which is only 350 mts away.
When contacted, S Kishore, executive director of KSK Energy Ventures Ltd said they will once again appeal to the ministry to reconsider the proposal.
The Rs 2,500-crore project was taken over by KSK Electricity Financing India Pvt Ltd in January 2007 from North Eastern Electric Power Corporation.
The project location was changed earlier as Seppa town, which is the headquarter of East Kameng district, would have been submerged with the proposed Full Reservoir Level of 440 meters. The state government directed that the town and the population of nearby villages to be kept out of submergence.
KSK then re-surveyed the area and proposed the project at another location, which was approved by the state government. KSK applied for the new site and reduced the project capacity from 600 MW to 420 MW.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea