Largest virus found off the coast of Chile
London: Scientists have isolated the largest virus yet discovered from ocean water pulled up off the coast of Chile.
Called Megavirus chilensis, it is 10 to 20 times longer than the average virus.
It just beats the previous record holder, Mimivirus, which was found in a water cooling tower in the UK in 1992.
Scientists reported in the journal PNAS that Megavirus probably infects amoebas, single-celled organisms that are floating free in the sea.
The particle measures about 0.7 micrometers in diameter.
“It is bigger than some bacteria,” Professor Jean-Michel Claverie, from Aix-Marseille University, Marseille, France, told BBC News.
“You don’t need an electron microscope to see it; you can see it with an ordinary light microscope,” he said.
Like Mimivirus, Megavirus has hair-like structures, or fibrils, on the exterior of its shell, or capsid, that probably attract unsuspecting amoebas looking to prey on bacteria displaying similar features.
A study of the giant virus’s DNA reveals it to have over a thousand genes, the biochemical instructions it uses to build the systems it requires to replicate once inside its host.
Megavirus was found off the coast of Las Cruces, central Chile. It was recovered as part of a general trawl in the ocean for biology of interest.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof