Laughing gas may have caused the end of Ice Age
London: It`s no laughing matter! Nitrous oxide commonly known as laughing gas may have brought the last great Ice Age to an end, a new research has found.
Scientists have found that large quantities of laughing gas which appeared in the atmosphere 14,000 years ago caused the temperatures in Europe to rise by as much as 5 degrees.
The research showed that elevated levels of the gas, which has gained notoriety as a party drug, are stored in ice core samples from the period the last Ice Age ended, the `Daily Mail` reported.
The samples, which formed about 14,000 years ago as the ice age drew to an end, contains bursts of nitrous oxide, popularly known as laughing gas.
The gas, used medically for pain relief has gained notoriety in recent years thanks to people using it as a recreational drug.
A study by Mirjam Pfieffer of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, in Lausanne, found that nitrous oxide which ended the Ice Age came from plants that blossomed as the climate began to warm.
The team reconstructed how the ecosystem changed at a Swiss lake during this time by identifying pollen buried in sediment. As temperatures rose, the area was over-run by a shrub called sea buckthorn.
Sea buckthorn uses nitrogen from the air to produce nutrients. Trials suggest that its chemical tinkering released a lot of nitrous oxide, perhaps 1.6 mg of extra gas for every square metre of land.
The scientists told New Scientist magazine that a similar development could happen this century as Arctic ice retreats and warmer Arctic peatlands belch out nitrous oxide.
"If we have climate change proceeding very quickly, the huge amounts of nitrous stored in our ecosystem may be released as nitrous oxide," said Klaus Butterbach-Bahl, of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology in Germany.
However, experts say they are unsure how much this will affect temperatures.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users