Leech cocoon preserves 200-mn-yr-old microbe
A 200 million-year-old hairy microbe has been discovered trapped inside a prehistoric cocoon of a leech in Antarctica.
The microbe was trapped in the cocoon, recovered by scientists from an exposure of rock on 10,000ft high Timber Peak in the Eisenhower Range of mountains to the east of Earth’s southernmost continent, the Daily Mail reported.
These microbes are part of a large group of micro-organisms called Ciliophora - common in water, and comprise over 8,000 species, the report said.
Evolutionary biologist Dr Thomas Taylor, of Kansas University, said the microbe added a small piece to the jigsaw of the evolution of life on earth.
The microbe looks like a teardrop and its horseshoe-shaped main body is still discernible under the microscope, the report added.
He said that it seemed that the Vorticella-like organism must have anchored itself to a freshly deposited cocoon in a flood basin and become trapped in the solidifying wall.
He added that the find also highlighted the “potential of clitellate (worm) cocoons as microscopic ‘conservation traps’ comparable to amber.”
The findings have been published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum