Like magic, Harry Potter`s owl spotted across US
Lake Andes (US): A species of majestic, mostly white owls famous for its role as Harry Potter`s companion in the books and movies is being sighted in abundant numbers this winter far from both Hogwarts and its native Arctic habitat.
It`s typical for snowy owls to arrive in the US every three or four winters, but this year`s irruption is widespread, with birders from the Pacific Northwest to New England reporting frequent sightings of the yellow-eyed birds.
As many as 30 were spotted in December around South Dakota`s
Lake Andes. "Thirty in one area, that`s mind numbing," said Mark
Robbins, an ornithologist with the University of Kansas Biodiversity Institute.
The arrival of the birds, which can top 2 feet (0.6 meters) in height with a wingspan of nearly 5 feet (1.5 meters), is the result of a plentiful population of Arctic lemmings this summer, which led to a strong breeding season, said Denver Holt, director of the Owl Research Institute in Charlo, Montana.
Lemmings are snowy owls` main food source, and the baby boom is sending many of the youngsters across the border to scrounge for voles, field mice, rats, rabbits and shore birds. "It`s very unusual, because it`s coast to coast," said Holt, who has been researching the owls` Arctic habitat for 25 years.
Snowy owls are drawn to frozen lakes, which remind them of their tundra back home in the Arctic, Robbins said. "And if they`re finding rodents there, they`re staying there," he said. "And perhaps seeing a couple of more snowy owls there, they may think, `OK, this is a hot spot.”
The owls have been regular visitors to Boston`s Logan Airport, and one even showed up just after Thanksgiving in Hawaii. Chicago`s Montrose Point Bird Sanctuary has become a haven for the creatures, with "countless sightings" this season, said Matthew Cvetas, an Evanston, Illinois, birder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues