London Olympics powered by environmental efforts
Washington: The London 2012 Olympics could be one of the most eco-friendly games yet with its environmentally responsible energy to recyclable venues.
BMW is providing two-hundred zero-emission electric cars comprised of 160 ActiveE First Drive and 40 Mini Cooper Mini Es, Discovery News reported.
GE has placed 120 of their DuraStation EV chargers throughout the Olympic Village to keep the cars juiced and ready to go.
An even cuter “mini-er” Mini Cooper is being used to transport athletic gear. According to Edmunds Inside Line, the radio-controlled electric vehicles are small enough to carry equipment like a single discus or two javelins, which can be accessed through a sunroof.
Charging up in about 80 minutes, the cars can carry up to 18 pounds and have a range of around 109 yards.
All of the structures built for the London 2012 Olympics were done so with environmental sustainability and energy consumption in mind.
Both the Velodrome, home of indoor cycling, and the Copperbox, venue for handball and badminton, collect rainwater from their sloped roofs for indoor plumbing usage, which cuts water consumption by 40 percent annually.
Using a natural ventilation system, outdoor air is used to keep the more than 6,000 visitors to the Velodrome cool -- no A/C needed.
Two buildings in Olympic Park won`t last long after the closing ceremonies as the Water Polo Arena and the Basketball arena will be torn down immediately after the Olympics are over. Both structures were built with PVC fabric that`s highly recyclable and will be reused for other construction projects.
The wings of the exterior of the Aquatic Center will also be removed and the main structure will be used for other London community events.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city