London Zoo`s Sumatran tiger cub found dead
London: The first Sumatran tiger cub to have been born in a London zoo in 17 years, barely two weeks ago, has been found dead.
London Zoo said they are "distraught" after the first tiger cub to be born at London Zoo in 17 years was found dead Saturday morning, The Independent reported Tuesday.
On being unable to notice the cub on the den cameras, the keepers at the zoo raised the alarm.
The cub was discovered on the edge of the pool inside the tigers` enclosure, a ZSL London Zoo spokeswoman said. It had not been named or sexed as it was so young.
“The keepers are naturally very distraught. They work very closely with the tigers, so it is incredibly sad news for them,” she said.
The world watched as five-year-old Sumatran tiger Melati gave birth to the cub two weeks ago in a den fitted with hidden cameras, after being pregnant for 105 days. She was in labour for just six minutes.
A post-mortem examination conducted Sunday confirmed the cub had drowned, the spokeswoman added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Katrina Kaif’s views on ‘intolerance’ in the country - Here's what the actress said
- Irfan Pathan marries 21-year-old Safa Baig in low-key affair