Lone survivor of white tiger litter battling for life
New Delhi: After five of a litter of six white tiger cubs died last week at Delhi zoo, authorities are making all efforts to ensure that the lone surviving cub which has been spurned by its mother is nursed back to health.
The one-week-old male cub was admitted to the zoo hospital after his mother, Kalpana, a seven-year-old white tigress, refused to attend to him.
"The lone cub is in a stable condition. We have been administering diluted goat milk and water to the cub and are on the lookout for dog milk," said zoo curator, Riaz Khan.
Of the six cubs which Kalpana had given birth to on January 21, five died due to a lack of feeding after she refused to look after them.
"Kalpana refused to accept the cubs and didn`t even let them come near her. After a while, she did not even feed them. As a result, all six became frail. Mother`s milk is crucial for cubs as it helps develop their immunity," said Khan.
Khan said instances of the mother neglecting and refusing to feed cubs have been observed at the zoo in the case of jaguars and lions as well.
"A sudden drop in temperature, humidity and rainfall are some of the reasons for the death of the cubs. Zoo authorities had to leave the cubs at least for the first two days for feeding so that they developed immunity," said Dr NVK Ashraf, Chief Veterinarian of Wildlife Trust of India (WTI), who is closely working with Delhi Zoo authorities.
White tiger cubs generally have a lower survival rate as they are born with low immunity, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- Hundreds of NASA's studies now available online for free!
- Status of political parties to be reviewed every 10 years
- WOAH! BJP MP Paresh Rawal launches fierce attack on India's Rio Olympics officials
- 30% to vote for SP, BJP+ 27%, BSP 26% in next UP Assembly elections: Survey
- Article 370 will be dealt later, peace in Valley a priority: Ahir