`Madhya Pradesh leads in forest cover area`
Thane: Madhya Pradesh has the maximum area under forest cover among all the states in the country, an RTI query has revealed.
According to the latest India State of Forest Report 2011, 77,700 kms (11.24 percent) of the total 6,90,899 kms of forest land in the country is in Madhya Pradesh, Ministry of Environment and Forest has said, in reply to an RTI query by Omprakash Sharma, a former BJP national council member.
As per the latest assessment report, 83,471 kms (12.05 pc) in the country is covered by very dense forest while 3,20,736 kms (46.32 pc) of land is under moderately dense forest and 2,87,820 kms ( 41.56 pc) is covered by open forest, the MoEF report said.
The report further indicated that Arunachal Pradesh with 67,410 kms under forest cover stood next to Madhya Pradesh, while Chhattisgarh stood at third position with a forest cover of 55,870 kms.
Of the total 77,700 kms of forest land in Madhya Pradesh, 6,640 kms is covered by very dense forest while 34,986 kms by moderately dense forest and 36,074 kms by open forest.
In Maharashtra, of the total 50,650 kms of forest land, a major chunk of 21,095 kms was covered by open forest, 20,815 kms under moderately dense forest and just 8,736 kms by very dense forest, the report said.
Of the country`s total geographical area of 32,87,263 kms, 21.06 percent, that is 6,92,394 kms, is covered by forest, it said.
According to the report, forest cover is below 100 kms in union territories - Chandigarh, Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Daman-Diu, Lakshadweep and Puducherry.
In at least eight states, the forest cover is between 100-10,000 kms, in 14 states it is between 10,000-25,000 kms and in the rest of the states, the forest cover is above 25,000 kms, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- CBI raids Visva Bharati varsity, officers' residences
- Substantial decline in riots and communal incidents: Naqvi
- Meghalaya Board SSLC Results 2016: megresults.nic.in, www.mbose.in; Tura Result 2016, MBOSE Class 10 Examination Result 2016 to be declared today at 10 am
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM