Maharashtra to get new Tiger Corridor in Umred
Mumbai: Maharashtra Wildlife Board today approved setting up a new `Tiger Corridor` in Umred situated between Tadoba and Navegaon sanctuaries, 20 kms away from Nagpur.
The corridor will come up in 189.29 sq ft area which will enable tigers from Tadoba to move to Kanha reserve in Madhya Pradesh, state Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan told reporters here.
"Tigers from Tadoba have genetic similarities with those in Kanha and the corridor will enable natural cross breeding. Umred is situated between Tadoba and Navegaon enroute to Kanha," he said.
At present, Maharashtra has about 170-180 tigers, out of which more than 100 are in Tadoba.
He said additional area for protected tiger corridor will enable conservation of the wild cats.
Besides, the board also approved four new sanctuaries which will come up in an area of 510 sq km. New Bor sanctuary (60.69 sq km) will be at Wardha, New Nagzira (151.335 sq km) and New Navegaon (122.75 sq km) at Gondia and New Maldhok (2 sq km) at Solapur.
The board has also decided to recommend declaring Kolamarka forest reserve in Sironcha of Gadchiroli district, where wild buffaloes are found, as conservation reserve. Wild buffaloes are the rare species found only in Gadchiroli district.
Rs 10 lakh package has been sanctioned for villagers voluntarily agreeing to relocate out of the forest reserve area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America