Majority of European firms fail on carbon reporting: Study
London: Less than half of Europe`s top 300 firms are publishing full and verified carbon emission data, with French and Swiss companies ranking worst at greenhouse gas reporting, a study showed Tuesday.
British financial services company Aviva placed first in the rankings based on emissions and levels of disclosure and verification, while Polish mining company KGHM came in last, according to the non-profit Environmental Investment Organisation (EIO).
Swiss telecom operator Swisscom ranked first among non-financial companies while unsurprisingly utilities were overall the biggest emitters, accounting for nearly 46 of all climate-changing greenhouse gases.
The EIO compiled its Environmental Tracing Europe 300 Carbon Ranking index and plans to release further regional indexes and a global index in the coming months to provide tools for the investment community to tackle climate change.
"The purpose of the carbon rankings is two-fold: to highlight the carbon emissions and levels of disclosure of the world`s largest companies with the aim of fostering greater transpacency and to form the basis of a series of stock market indexes, designed specifically to provide the investment community with a viable tool for tackling climate change," said Sam Gill, EIO`s operational director.
The EIO found that European companies still have a long way to go on reporting greenhouse gas emissions, with 13 percent of companies still providing no public information and only 43 percent releasing complete and verified information for their own emissions plus electricity.
Spanish companies were best at reporting, with 92 percent providing complete information including 77 percent with the information independently verified.
French and Swiss companies were worst, with only 60 percent of French firms disclosing full emissions data while only 27 percent of Swiss firms provided independently verified information.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre