Malaysia seeks Indian support in education, biodiversity
New Delhi: Malaysia wants to collaborate closely with India in the areas of biodiversity and education, Malaysia`s Minister for Natural Resources and Environment G. Palanivel said here Wednesday.
"As one of the 12 mega diverse countries in the world, Malaysia has in place many conservation programmes relating to biodiversity conservation - such as our extensive network of protected forest areas," Palanivel said in his address as the chief guest at the 12th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas, the annual gathering of the people of Indian origin.
Palanivel is also the president of the Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC), which is part of the ruling Barisan Nasional coalition in the southeast Asian country.
He said his country was revising its national policy on biodiversity to make it in line with the new global strategy.
According to the minister, Malaysia has learnt from India`s experiences on the implementation of the National Biological Diversity Act, 2002.
Palanivel said there was a lot of room for expansion in the field of education too as his country was aspiring to be a hub for education in the region.
Stating that Malaysian students have been coming to India for a long time to pursue their studies in the fields of medicine, dentistry and engineering, he said Indian institutes have taken a step forward by setting up campuses in Malaysia.
"Among those who have initiated setting up campuses in the country are Manipal International University and Vinayaka Mission University," he said.
He also invited the Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) to set up a campus in his country.
Ethnic Indians comprise a little over seven percent of Malaysia`s total population of nearly 30 million.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Tata Sons removes Cyrus Mistry as Chairman; Ratan Tata interim boss for 4 months