Maneka member of revamped tiger conservation body
New Delhi: The Centre has reconstituted
the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) with
prominent animal rights activist and BJP MP Maneka Gandhi as
one of its members who had, incidentally, opposed the Bill
which paved way for its setting up in 2006.
Gandhi had objected to powers being given to `Gram Sabha`
under the last minute amendments in the Wildlife Protection
Act in 2006 which led to the setting up of TCA and termed the
legislation as "the worst Bill since 1947, which would kill
However, when contacted, Gandhi said despite being
a "bad Bill" she finally supported it as "at least it was a
step further to save the wildlife. As a member, I am yet to
fathom how can I contribute in conservation of endangered
animals which are on the verge of extinction."
Headed by Union Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh,
the TCA has eight wildlife experts besides two Members of
Parliament namely Rajya Sabha MP Santosh Bagrodia and Gandhi.
Wildlife experts Brijendra Singh, Valmik Thapar, P K Sen,
Prakash Mulidhar Amte, Urmila Pingle, K Ullas Karanth, Samar
Singh and Aparjita Dutta are also members.
The Authority has been set up under the Wild Life
(Protection) Amendment Act, 2006, as recommended by the Tiger
Task Force at the initiation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
The authority which was reconstituted early this month
was first set up in 2006 and deliberates on several issues
relating to 38 tiger reserves spread across 17 states covering
anti-poaching, infrastructure and man-animal conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery