Marathons, tree planting drives mark World Environment Day
Dharamsala/Surat: Green marathons, tree plantation drives, seminars, on-the-spot painting competitions marked World Environment Day in India on Tuesday.
In Dharamsala, Himachal Pradesh, the Tibetan Women``s Association organized a Green Marathon in which teenaged boys and girls participated.
Besides this race, scores of exiled Tibetan students spread the message of clean and green environment through attractive banners.
The President of the Tibetan Women``s Association (TWA), Tashi Dolma, said the marathon would encourage people to actively promote the concept of ``Clean and Green``.
"Today, we organised athletic marathon from the organisation and this is to show, to increase people``s awareness to save the environment," said Tashi Dolma.
Office bearers of TWA also mentioned that the main objective behind marathon was to create awareness among the masses about several environmental issues including global warming, pollution and climate change.
In Surat, Gujarat, local authorities joined hands with several NGOs to save the environment.
Surat Municipal Corporation officials moved a couple of trees that were obstructing the widening of roads and construction of flyovers.
Prayas Environment Team, an NGO, provided volunteers for the transplantation drive.
"We are trying to create mass awareness among the people and want to spread the message that if they find any tree creating obstruction, we try to shift that tree with the help of the local authorities," said Director of Prayas Environment Team, Darshanbhai Desai.
World Environment Day is celebrated on June 5 every year. The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) has been observing it since 1973.
The United Nations uses World Environment Day as a tool to spread awareness about the need to save the environment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday