Marine ecosystems under threat from ocean acidification
Washington: Experiments by a team of scientists has determined that acidification of the oceans as a result of increasing levels of atmospheric carbon dioxide (CO2) could have significant effects on marine ecosystems.
Postgraduate researcher Michael Maguire, together with colleagues at Newcastle University, performed experiments in which they simulated ocean acidification as predicted by current trends of CO2 emissions.
The group found that the decrease in ocean pH (increased acidity) resulted in a sharp decline of a biogeochemically important group of bacteria known as the Marine Roseobacter clade.
“This is the first time that a highly important bacterial group has been observed to decline in significant numbers with only a modest decrease in pH,” said Maguire.
The Marine Roseobacter clade is responsible for breaking down a sulphur compound called dimethylsulfoniopropionate (DMSP) that is produced by photosynthesising plankton.
This end product is taken up and used by numerous bacteria as an important source of sulphur.
A fraction of DMSP is turned into Dimethylsulfide (DMS) – a naturally occurring gas that influences the Earth’s climate.
DMS encourages the formation of clouds that reflect solar radiation back into space leading to a cooling of the earth’s surface.
Maguire’s group hypothesizes that the decline of the Marine Roseobacter clade through ocean acidification may alter the release of DMS into the atmosphere and affect the amount of available sulphur.
He believes this will have a significant impact on the ocean’s productivity and the overall global climate system.
“Ocean acidification will not only have large scale consequences for marine ecosystems but also socio-economical consequences due to changes in fish stocks and erosion of coral reefs,” he explained.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference