Massive Jurassic turtle graveyard unearthed in China
Washington: German paleontologists say they`ve uncovered a pile of about 1,800 fossilized turtles from the Jurassic era in northwestern China`s Xinjiang province.
The mesa chelonia turtles were found in a "bone bed" with some of the shells stacked up on top of each other in the rock, the researchers said.
Some 160 million years ago, these turtles (identified as a species in the genus Annemys) likely had gathered in one of the remaining waterholes during a very dry period, awaiting rain, which apparently came too late, the researchers say. When all the water left in the hole dried up, the turtles died.
When the rain did finally arrive, it hit with catastrophic force. The inundation sent a river of mud over the area, washing the turtle corpses and surrounding sediments into one resting place, according to the paleontologists`` analysis of the site.
The shells are up to 8 inches (20 centimeters) long and in the zone with the highest fossil turtle concentration, the skeletons are packed at a density of up to 36 turtles per square meter (11 square feet), the researchers said.
"This site has probably more than doubled the known number of individual turtles from the Jurassic," said Walter Joyce, a fossil turtle specialist at the University of Tübingen in Germany.
The large sample gives researchers a rare chance to study variation among individuals in a single prehistoric species.
"We know from living organisms that individuals of some species look very similar, whereas individuals of other species show a lot of variation," Joyce wrote in an email to LiveScience.
"As a paleontologist, it is therefore always difficult to assess if your fossil looks different from others because it is a new species, or because it is part of an already known, but variable species. With data from the new site we will finally be able to more rigorously assess patterns of diversity of turtles in the Jurassic of Asia."
The study has been published in the German journal Naturwissenschaften.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs