Material made of clay and papaya seeds could provide cheap clean water
Washington: An inexpensive new material made of clay and papaya seeds removes harmful metals from water and could lower the cost of providing clean water to millions of people in the developing world.
Emmanuel Unuabonah and colleagues explain that almost 1 billion people in developing countries lack access to reliable supplies of clean water for drinking, cooking and other key uses.
One health problem resulting from that shortage involves exposure to heavy metals such as lead, cadmium and mercury, released from industrial sources into the water.
Technology exists for removing those metals from drinking water , but often is too costly in developing countries.
So these scientists looked for a more affordable and sustainable water treatment adsorbent.
They turned to two materials readily available in some developing countries - one was kaolinite clay, used to make ceramics, paint, paper and other products, and the other: seeds of the Carica papaya fruit.
Both had been used separately in water purification in the past, but until now, they had not been combined in what the scientists term "hybrid clay."
Their documentation of the clay`s effectiveness established that the material "has a strong potential for replacing commercial activated carbon in treatment of wastewater in the developing world."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister