Mauritius holds international conference on environment
Port Louis: A three day international
conference on energy, environment and development kicked off
here to draw global attention towards the major environmental
problems and its impact, with active Indian participation.
The 3rd International Congress of Environmental
Research began yesterday at the University of Mauritius, the
biggest ever academic event in the country.
The conference has been jointly organised by the
Journal of Environmental Research and Development (Jerad),
Bhopal, and the University of Mauritius.
Scientists, activists, engineers, media persons,
research scholars and others from all over the world will
discuss different burning issues related to the environment.
More 1,326 research papers will be presented to draw
attention towards the issue.
Addressing the inaugural session, the Minister of
Tertiary education, Science, Research and Technology of
Mauritius R Jeetah asked people to cooperate in saving the
A plenary lecture on alternative fuels was delivered
by Prof PK Bose, Director, NIT, India.
Prof S Pandey, director of Jerad, said that the
beautiful island of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean was the
right place to send the message of environment protection to
the world community.
Last year, another island nation the Maldives had held
a cabinet meeting underwater to highlight the threat of global
warming to the low-lying Indian Ocean nation.
The Maldives stand an average of 2.1 metres (7ft)
above sea level, and the government says they face being wiped
out if oceans rise.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata