Mauritius holds international conference on environment
Port Louis: A three day international
conference on energy, environment and development kicked off
here to draw global attention towards the major environmental
problems and its impact, with active Indian participation.
The 3rd International Congress of Environmental
Research began yesterday at the University of Mauritius, the
biggest ever academic event in the country.
The conference has been jointly organised by the
Journal of Environmental Research and Development (Jerad),
Bhopal, and the University of Mauritius.
Scientists, activists, engineers, media persons,
research scholars and others from all over the world will
discuss different burning issues related to the environment.
More 1,326 research papers will be presented to draw
attention towards the issue.
Addressing the inaugural session, the Minister of
Tertiary education, Science, Research and Technology of
Mauritius R Jeetah asked people to cooperate in saving the
A plenary lecture on alternative fuels was delivered
by Prof PK Bose, Director, NIT, India.
Prof S Pandey, director of Jerad, said that the
beautiful island of Mauritius in the Indian Ocean was the
right place to send the message of environment protection to
the world community.
Last year, another island nation the Maldives had held
a cabinet meeting underwater to highlight the threat of global
warming to the low-lying Indian Ocean nation.
The Maldives stand an average of 2.1 metres (7ft)
above sea level, and the government says they face being wiped
out if oceans rise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi