Maya text cites 2012 as end of calendar cycle, not end of world
Washington: Archaeologists have discovered a 1,300-year-old Maya text that provides only the second known reference to the so-called `end date` of the Maya calendar, December 21, 2012.
The discovery made while working at the site of La Corona in Guatemala is one of the most significant hieroglyphic finds in decades and it was announced at the National Palace in Guatemala.
“This text talks about ancient political history rather than prophecy,” said Marcello A. Canuto, director of Tulane`s Middle American Research Institute and co-director of the excavations at La Corona.
Since 2008, Canuto and Tomas Barrientos of the Universidad del Valle de Guatemala have directed excavations at La Corona, a site previously ravaged by looters.
“Last year, we realized that looters of a particular building had discarded some carved stones because they were too eroded to sell on the antiquities black market, so we knew they found something important, but we also thought they might have missed something,” said Barrientos.
What Canuto and Barrientos found was the longest text ever discovered in Guatemala. Carved on staircase steps, it records 200 years of La Corona history, according to David Stuart, director of the Mesoamerica Center at The University of Texas at Austin, who was part of a 1997 expedition that first explored the site.
While deciphering these new finds in May, Stuart recognized the 2012 reference on a stairway block bearing 56 delicately carved hieroglyphs. It commemorated a royal visit to La Corona in AD 696 by the most powerful Maya ruler of that time, Yuknoom Yich`aak K`ahk` of Calakmul, only a few months after his defeat by long-standing rival Tikal in AD 695.
Thought by scholars to have been killed in this battle, this ruler was visiting allies and allaying their fears after his defeat.
“This was a time of great political turmoil in the Maya region and this king felt compelled to allude to a larger cycle of time that happens to end in 2012,” said Stuart.
So, rather than prophesy, the 2012 reference places this king`s troubled reign and accomplishments into a larger cosmological framework.
“In times of crisis, the ancient Maya used their calendar to promote continuity and stability rather than predict apocalypse,” said Canuto.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Substantial decline in riots and communal incidents: Naqvi
- Meghalaya Board SSLC Results 2016: megresults.nic.in, www.mbose.in; Tura Result 2016, MBOSE Class 10 Examination Result 2016 to be declared today at 10 am
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM