Melting sea ice may drive polar bears to extinction
London: Polar bears could soon disappear from parts of the Arctic due to global warming, a climate-change expert has warned.
And those that survive may become darker as they crossbreed with brown bears.
Cambridge University’s Professor Peter Wadhams said that Arctic summer sea ice, already melted to its smallest area on record, could totally collapse in three years.
“As their habitat shrinks, we could see a process of ‘de-evolution’ as polar bears revert back to becoming more like brown bears, hunting salmon in rivers,” the Daily Express quoted him as saying.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Pakistan vs England, 2nd T20: Live Streaming
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan