Melting sea ice may drive polar bears to extinction
London: Polar bears could soon disappear from parts of the Arctic due to global warming, a climate-change expert has warned.
And those that survive may become darker as they crossbreed with brown bears.
Cambridge University’s Professor Peter Wadhams said that Arctic summer sea ice, already melted to its smallest area on record, could totally collapse in three years.
“As their habitat shrinks, we could see a process of ‘de-evolution’ as polar bears revert back to becoming more like brown bears, hunting salmon in rivers,” the Daily Express quoted him as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'