Melting sea ice may drive polar bears to extinction
London: Polar bears could soon disappear from parts of the Arctic due to global warming, a climate-change expert has warned.
And those that survive may become darker as they crossbreed with brown bears.
Cambridge University’s Professor Peter Wadhams said that Arctic summer sea ice, already melted to its smallest area on record, could totally collapse in three years.
“As their habitat shrinks, we could see a process of ‘de-evolution’ as polar bears revert back to becoming more like brown bears, hunting salmon in rivers,” the Daily Express quoted him as saying.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'