Melting tundra will tumble vast carbon waste into Arctic Ocean
London: Rise in temperature is already causing the sea ice in the Arctic to melt. If Arctic tundra also follows suit, it will tumble vast organic wastes into rivers heading for the Arctic Ocean, upping carbon dioxide emissions, fear scientists.
"Large amounts of organic carbon are currently stored within the permafrost. If released, they will result in an increased release of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere," says Sofia Hjalmarsson, who submitted her doctoral thesis at Gothenburg University.
Several Russian rivers enter the Arctic Ocean, particularly in the Laptev Sea north of Siberia, including Lena, one of the world`s 10 largest rivers, in terms of its drainage basin and length.
The river water carries organic carbon from the tundra, and research by the university shows that this adds a considerable amount of carbon dioxide to the air when it is degraded in the coastal waters.
The increase in temperature in the Arctic, which has already made an impact in the form of reduced sea ice cover during the summer, may also cause the permafrost to melt.
In her thesis, Hjalmarsson has studied the carbon system in two different geographical areas: partly in the Baltic Sea, the Kattegat and the Skagerrak, and partly in the coastal waters north of Siberia (the Laptev Sea, the East Siberian Sea and the Chukchi Sea), says a university release.
The two areas receive large volumes of river water containing organic carbon and nutrients, mainly nitrogen.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy