Mexican marine reserve is `world`s most robust`
Washington: A thriving undersea wildlife park near the southern tip of Mexico``s Baja peninsula is the most robust marine reserve in the world, US researchers say.
Results of a 10-year analysis of Cabo Pulmo National Park (CPNP), revealed that the total amount of fish in the reserve ecosystem (the “biomass”) boomed more than 460 percent from 1999 to 2009.
Citizens living around Cabo Pulmo, previously depleted by fishing, established the park in 1995 and have strictly enforced its “no take” restrictions, the report said.
“We could have never dreamt of such an extraordinary recovery of marine life at Cabo Pulmo,” said National Geographic Explorer-in-Residence Enric Sala, who started the study in 1999. “In 1999 there were only medium-sized fishes, but ten years later it``s full of large parrotfish, groupers, snappers and even sharks.”
The most striking result of the paper, the authors say, is that fish communities at a depleted site can recover up to a level comparable to remote, pristine sites that have never been fished by humans.
The paper notes that factors such as the protection of spawning areas for large predators have been key to the reserve``s robustness. Most importantly, local enforcement, led by the determined action of a few families, has been a major factor in the park``s success. Boat captains, dive masters and other locals work to enforce the park``s regulations and share surveillance, fauna protection and ocean cleanliness efforts.
The study has been published in the Public Library of Science (PLoS) ONE journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people