Mexican marine reserve is `world`s most robust`
Washington: A thriving undersea wildlife park near the southern tip of Mexico``s Baja peninsula is the most robust marine reserve in the world, US researchers say.
Results of a 10-year analysis of Cabo Pulmo National Park (CPNP), revealed that the total amount of fish in the reserve ecosystem (the “biomass”) boomed more than 460 percent from 1999 to 2009.
Citizens living around Cabo Pulmo, previously depleted by fishing, established the park in 1995 and have strictly enforced its “no take” restrictions, the report said.
“We could have never dreamt of such an extraordinary recovery of marine life at Cabo Pulmo,” said National Geographic Explorer-in-Residence Enric Sala, who started the study in 1999. “In 1999 there were only medium-sized fishes, but ten years later it``s full of large parrotfish, groupers, snappers and even sharks.”
The most striking result of the paper, the authors say, is that fish communities at a depleted site can recover up to a level comparable to remote, pristine sites that have never been fished by humans.
The paper notes that factors such as the protection of spawning areas for large predators have been key to the reserve``s robustness. Most importantly, local enforcement, led by the determined action of a few families, has been a major factor in the park``s success. Boat captains, dive masters and other locals work to enforce the park``s regulations and share surveillance, fauna protection and ocean cleanliness efforts.
The study has been published in the Public Library of Science (PLoS) ONE journal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport
- Colombia peace deal to be signed late September