Mexico City closes world`s largest trash dump
Mexico City: Authorities in the Mexican capital said Monday that concerns about pollution of the air and nearby underground aquifers led them to close a municipal trash dump described as the largest in the world.
The closure of the Bordo Poniente dump is "a relevant advance for Mexico City" and will contribute to reducing carbon dioxide emissions by 2 million tonnes, Mayor Marcelo Ebrard said.
Opened 26 years ago, Bordo Poniente receives an average of 12,600 tonnes per day of garbage and accounts for 1.5 percent of Mexico`s total emissions of greenhouse gases.
Municipal officials embarked in 2008 on a plan to reduce the amount of trash consigned to the dump, in part by diverting organic refuse to composting, while non-organic garbage is sifted for material that can be used to generate energy for manufacturing, Ebrard said.
Development work is to begin next year on equipment to capture biogas for electricity generation, the mayor said.
The Mexico City municipal government has benefited to the tune of $500,000 under a 2006 accord with the Spanish Carbon Fund to cut emissions of greenhouse gases by 34,500 tonnes a year.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?