Mexico City closes world`s largest trash dump
Mexico City: Authorities in the Mexican capital said Monday that concerns about pollution of the air and nearby underground aquifers led them to close a municipal trash dump described as the largest in the world.
The closure of the Bordo Poniente dump is "a relevant advance for Mexico City" and will contribute to reducing carbon dioxide emissions by 2 million tonnes, Mayor Marcelo Ebrard said.
Opened 26 years ago, Bordo Poniente receives an average of 12,600 tonnes per day of garbage and accounts for 1.5 percent of Mexico`s total emissions of greenhouse gases.
Municipal officials embarked in 2008 on a plan to reduce the amount of trash consigned to the dump, in part by diverting organic refuse to composting, while non-organic garbage is sifted for material that can be used to generate energy for manufacturing, Ebrard said.
Development work is to begin next year on equipment to capture biogas for electricity generation, the mayor said.
The Mexico City municipal government has benefited to the tune of $500,000 under a 2006 accord with the Spanish Carbon Fund to cut emissions of greenhouse gases by 34,500 tonnes a year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today