Migratory birds are flying back home from Odisha
Bhubaneswar: More than a million migratory birds that thronged various lakes and marshlands of Odisha, flying in from as far places as Siberia and Iraq, have started their return journey back home, an official said Friday.
"The birds have begun their return journey. Normally, they start migrating back home in the first week of Feb. This year, it was a little delayed as cold conditions had persisted," Ajit Pattnaik, chief executive of Chilika Development Authority, said.
The Chilika Lake, about a 100 km from here, is spread over the Puri, Khordha and Ganjam districts and is the largest brackish water lake in Asia, covering an area of over 1,100 sq km. Chilika is one of India`s biodiversity hotspots and a great attraction for tourists looking to fish, take boat ride and watch birds.
About 8.83 lakh migratory waterfowl had arrived this year at the lake, Pattnaik said.
Similarly, migratory birds have also started their return journey from Bhitarkanika National Park, about 170 km from here, in the coastal district of Kendrapada.
The park is a home to over 200 species of birds, including 98 species of migratory birds.
Around 50,000 migratory birds had flocked to the park this year. The highest concentrations of birds so far were found at Satabhaya and Bagapatia areas of the park, Manoj Mohapatra, divisional forest officer at the park, said.
"The birds have started their return journey," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof