Migratory birds are flying back home from Odisha
Bhubaneswar: More than a million migratory birds that thronged various lakes and marshlands of Odisha, flying in from as far places as Siberia and Iraq, have started their return journey back home, an official said Friday.
"The birds have begun their return journey. Normally, they start migrating back home in the first week of Feb. This year, it was a little delayed as cold conditions had persisted," Ajit Pattnaik, chief executive of Chilika Development Authority, said.
The Chilika Lake, about a 100 km from here, is spread over the Puri, Khordha and Ganjam districts and is the largest brackish water lake in Asia, covering an area of over 1,100 sq km. Chilika is one of India`s biodiversity hotspots and a great attraction for tourists looking to fish, take boat ride and watch birds.
About 8.83 lakh migratory waterfowl had arrived this year at the lake, Pattnaik said.
Similarly, migratory birds have also started their return journey from Bhitarkanika National Park, about 170 km from here, in the coastal district of Kendrapada.
The park is a home to over 200 species of birds, including 98 species of migratory birds.
Around 50,000 migratory birds had flocked to the park this year. The highest concentrations of birds so far were found at Satabhaya and Bagapatia areas of the park, Manoj Mohapatra, divisional forest officer at the park, said.
"The birds have started their return journey," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened