Millions of baby turtles break out of shells
Kendrapara: Millions of baby
Olive Ridley marine turtles have emerged at Gahirmatha off
Orissa`s coast, wildlife officials said Sunday.
Newborn hatchlings have begun emerging from their
nests at the nesting grounds at south eastern Nasi-2 islands
of Gahirmatha marine sanctuary since last Saturday, officials
The wildlife officials of Bhitarkanika national park
stationed at these nesting grounds were witnesses to the
birth of the babies.
Emergence of hatchlings from egg shells is expected to
continue for at least three more days in the one-km beach, the
The babies were literally jostling for space on the
beach before their final plunge into the sea water, said
Prasanna Kumar Behera, Divisional Forest Officer, Rajnaga wildlife (forest) division.
An estimated 1.86 lakh turtles had arrived en masse to
lay eggs on February.
In the second phase of mass nesting, 1.70 lakh turtles
had tuned up to lay eggs last month.
After the eggs are incubated under natural process,
the hatchlings come out after 45/55 days.
The mortality rate of hatchlings is exceedingly high
as one out of a thousand survives to grow into an adult.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video