Model pond in each district to raise groundwater level
Coimbatore: The Government has plans to create
large model ponds to maintain and recharge groundwater level
in all the districts of the State, Tamil Nadu Agricultural
Minister Veerapandi S Arumugam said on Wednesday.
The department officials have been asked to identify such
ponds or lakes, where water is being wasted, and submit report
within 10 days, so that works could be started soon, Arumugam
said releasing 13 new crop varieties and implements, as part
of the two-day Farmers` Day at Tamil Nadu Agricultural
Stating that he drew inspiration on the concept from
Japan, where he recently visited, the minister said canals
would be cleaned for smooth movement of water into the pond or
lake, which would them become a model pond or lake in each
district, Arumugam said.
The water would be stored at a minimum capacity and surplus
water would be diverted for agriculture as usual, he said.
Similarly, there was also plan to get quality seeds of
pulses from Canada, for distribution among the farmers in the
State and attempts would be made to increase the productivity
through imported technology, Arumugam said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan