Model pond in each district to raise groundwater level
Coimbatore: The Government has plans to create
large model ponds to maintain and recharge groundwater level
in all the districts of the State, Tamil Nadu Agricultural
Minister Veerapandi S Arumugam said on Wednesday.
The department officials have been asked to identify such
ponds or lakes, where water is being wasted, and submit report
within 10 days, so that works could be started soon, Arumugam
said releasing 13 new crop varieties and implements, as part
of the two-day Farmers` Day at Tamil Nadu Agricultural
Stating that he drew inspiration on the concept from
Japan, where he recently visited, the minister said canals
would be cleaned for smooth movement of water into the pond or
lake, which would them become a model pond or lake in each
district, Arumugam said.
The water would be stored at a minimum capacity and surplus
water would be diverted for agriculture as usual, he said.
Similarly, there was also plan to get quality seeds of
pulses from Canada, for distribution among the farmers in the
State and attempts would be made to increase the productivity
through imported technology, Arumugam said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!