Modern humans didn`t originate from a single place in Africa
London: Modern humans may not have come from one place in Africa but may have descended from a diverse group of ancestors, a new research has claimed, challenging the single-origin theory.
Researchers found that Khoe and San tribes of the sub-Sahara are descendants of the earliest diversification event in the history of all humans, some 1, 00,000 years ago.
The findings, involving 220 participants representing 11 populations across southern Africa, showed around 2.3 million DNA variants per individual, the `Daily Mail` reported.
This was thought to be due to interbreeding and genetic stratification - non-random mating between groups.
A team of international scientists from Sweden and South Africa conducted the largest genomic study ever among the click-speaking Khoe and San groups.
Researchers estimate that the San populations from northern Namibia and Angola separated from the Khoe and San populations living in South Africa as early as 25,000 -- 40,000 years ago.
"There is astonishing ethnic diversity among the Khoe-San group," Dr Carina Schlebusch, of Witwatersrand University in Johannesburg, said.
"We were able to see many aspects of the colorful history that gave rise to this diversity in their DNA," Schlebusch said.
Many scientists believe modern humans originated from one region in Africa before spreading into Europe and Asia about 60,000 years ago.
Others theorise there were several `movements` out of Africa.
"It is possible that modern humans emerged from a non-homogeneous group," said author Mattias Jakobsson from Sweden`s Uppsala University.
The genetic data also showed how generations of Khoe-San adapted to their environment which involved muscle function, immune response, and UV-light protection.
The findings are published in the journal `Science`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing