Modern humans didn`t originate from a single place in Africa
London: Modern humans may not have come from one place in Africa but may have descended from a diverse group of ancestors, a new research has claimed, challenging the single-origin theory.
Researchers found that Khoe and San tribes of the sub-Sahara are descendants of the earliest diversification event in the history of all humans, some 1, 00,000 years ago.
The findings, involving 220 participants representing 11 populations across southern Africa, showed around 2.3 million DNA variants per individual, the `Daily Mail` reported.
This was thought to be due to interbreeding and genetic stratification - non-random mating between groups.
A team of international scientists from Sweden and South Africa conducted the largest genomic study ever among the click-speaking Khoe and San groups.
Researchers estimate that the San populations from northern Namibia and Angola separated from the Khoe and San populations living in South Africa as early as 25,000 -- 40,000 years ago.
"There is astonishing ethnic diversity among the Khoe-San group," Dr Carina Schlebusch, of Witwatersrand University in Johannesburg, said.
"We were able to see many aspects of the colorful history that gave rise to this diversity in their DNA," Schlebusch said.
Many scientists believe modern humans originated from one region in Africa before spreading into Europe and Asia about 60,000 years ago.
Others theorise there were several `movements` out of Africa.
"It is possible that modern humans emerged from a non-homogeneous group," said author Mattias Jakobsson from Sweden`s Uppsala University.
The genetic data also showed how generations of Khoe-San adapted to their environment which involved muscle function, immune response, and UV-light protection.
The findings are published in the journal `Science`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...