Modi to inaugurate world`s first canal-top solar plant in Gujarat
Chandrasan (Guj): The world`s first 1 MW canal-top solar power plant in Gujarat`s Mehsana district has generated 2 lakh units of clean energy since it was commissioned two months back, a top official said today on the eve of formal inauguration of the ambitious project.
The project, which virtually eliminates the need to acquire huge tracts of land as is typically needed in setting up such plants, was commissioned in late February this year.
The project covers 750 metres of Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Limited (SSNL) branch canal passing through remote village of Chandrasan, with a network of solar panels, said a top official of the Gujarat State Electricity Corporation (GSECL).
The plant was set up at the cost of around Rs 17.50 crore by the US-based Sun Edison and is projected to generate 1.6 million units annually and simultaneously prevent evaporation of 9 million litres of water.
"This is the first-of-its-kind canal-top solar power plant to be set up by Sun Edison in the world using panels made by our parent firm MEMC Electronics Materials Ltd," said Head of Communications at Sun Edison Jaideep Singh Chowdhary.
Chief Minister Narendra Modi is scheduled to inaugurate the plant situated at Chandrasan village tomorrow.
The plant which is connected to the state grid through Uttar Gujarat Vidyut Corporation Limited, had gone on stream in late February.
"The trial run of the plant indicates that solar panels here could produce 15 per cent more power as compared to conventional installations as the water flowing under the panels keeps them relatively cool," said GSECL MD Gurdeep Singh.
The cost of the plant is expected to come down to Rs 12 crore or so as it was higher since it being the first such pilot project, he said.
The entire length of SSNL canal network in Gujarat is around 19,000 kilometres and if even 10 per cent of it is used for this type of projects it could generate 2,400 MW of clean energy annually, Singh said.
"It would eliminate need of 11,000 acres of land required for a solar project of this magnitude and save 2 billion litres of water annually," he claimed.
A 800 KW of peak energy production has been recorded from this plant during a day so far, which is connected to the state grid, a GSECL official said.
Sun Edison has a total installed capacity of 45 MW of solar power in Gujarat and has also bagged a contract for a 2.5 MW rooftop solar project in Gandhinagar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28