Mongoose calls more human-like than thought: Study
New York: Scientists have found that mongoose combine discrete units of sound somewhat like humans put together a consonant and vowel to form a syllable.
"The fact that such findings were done in a `simple` species as the banded mongoose rather than in primates or apes could be revealing," said researcher David Jansen, of the University of Zurich.
The results suggest that the "simple" calls of other species like frogs and bats might actually contain vocal cues with more complex encoding, LiveScience reported.
For the study, Jansen and his colleagues followed around banded mongooses (Mungos mungo) in western Uganda, inside of Queen Elizabeth National Park.
The small carnivores are related to the meerkat and found in the savannah regions south of the Sahara Desert. They live in social groups of about 20 adults that raise their young cooperatively.
Their calls, which last between 50 and 150 milliseconds and can be considered to represent a single "syllable", allow them to maintain group cohesion and coordinate activities like foraging.
The researchers recorded the animals` calls to each other, noting what the creatures were doing at the time (digging, searching or moving).
The team found subtle vocal signatures within the single syllables of the calls.
There`s an initial sound that seems to provide information about the identity of the caller and a second sound (which Jansen compared to a vowel) that indicates the caller`s current activity.
Jansen said the research "adds an unexpected layer of complexity to the field of animal communication".
"It shows that banded mongooses combine vowel-like segments in a way that was thought to be unique to human speech," he added, noting that such elements might be found in the calls of other animals that speak to each other in single syllables.
"We think it is present in other species, and future research should attempt to find these," Jansen told the website, citing frogs and bats as possible candidates.
The study was published in the journal BMC Biology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof