Monkeys choose mating partners with different genes: Study
London: Monkeys choose mating partners with genes different from their own to guarantee healthy and strong offspring, a new study has claimed.
A team of researcher from UK and Africa analysed blood
samples and reproduction patterns of around 200 mandrills, a
species closely related to humans, living in Gabon in Central
They observed that female mandrills reproduced most with
those males whose genes were complementary to their own.
Presuming that the females use smell to select suitable
mating partner for themselves, the scientists said, "monkeys
know their own body smell, which is partly determined by their
Male mandrills have a scent-gland on their chest, which
they rub vigorously against trees to advertise their presence
"The females sniff out the males whose body odour is
different giving an indication that their genetic make up is
likely to be unlike theirs," the team assumed, but made it
clear that they were still trying to determine mandrill
"This is an important advance in our knowledge of how mate
selection works in monkeys. We now need to dig deeper and
establish how they do this," lead author Jo Setchell from
Durham University`s Anthropology Department said in a report
in Journal of Evolutionary Biology.
Selective fertilisation could be another method adopted
by female mandrills to `choose` their mates, researchers
"Alternatively, it could well be that the female has a
sophisticated way of somehow rejecting and accepting
fertilisation depending on the genetic makeup of the sperm.
This might help to explain why female primates go out of their
way to mate with as many males as possible," Setchell said.
A female mandrill mates with a number of males and
researchers believe that her body rejects sperm from males
with a similar genetic makeup and `picks` those with different
"These results are very exciting and this is the first
time that selection for genetic compatibility has been
demonstrated in a species which is quite closely related to
humans. So our results support the idea that humans might
choose genetically compatible mates," Setchell said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'