More than 23.8 per cent of land covered by forests
New Delhi: More than 23.8 per cent of the country`s total land area is currently covered by forests, but it has witnessed a marginal decline of 0.05 per cent compared to the 2009 assessment, the Government said today.
"As per the India State of Forest Report (ISFR) 2011, the forests and tree cover of the country is 23.81 per cent of the geographical area of the country," Minister of Environment and Forests Jayanthi Natarajan said in a written reply to the Rajya Sabha.
However, Natarajan said the forest cover of the country has "registered a marginal decline of 0.05 per cent as compared to the previous assessment published in ISFR 2009".
The Minister also informed the House that of the total forest cover, about 83,471 square km of area is Very Dense Forests with tree canopy density of more than 70 per cent.
Moderately Dense Forests with tree canopy density between 40 and 70 per cent cover an area of 320,736 sqkm, while 287,820 sq km constitute Open Forests, or those with tree canopy density between 10 and 40 per cent.
Replying to another query on degraded forest cover, the Minister said, "As per ISFR 2011, about 4.22 million hectare area is recorded as `Scrub Forest` which is deemed as degraded."
On steps taken towards afforestation and eco-restoration of degraded forests, Natarajan said, "Since the inception of the National Afforestation Programme (NAP) during 10th Plan, an area of about 1.8 million hectare has been targeted till date by incurring an investment of about Rs 2,762 crore."
"An area of about 10 million hectare is envisaged to be tackled under Green India Mission during the 12th and 13th Five Year Plan period," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video