Moringa seeds can be used for water purification
Washington: A new study by scientists has described how extracts from seeds of the Moringa oleifera tree can be used for water purification.
Researchers from Uppsala University, Sweden, in co-operation with The University of Botswana, carried out the study.
Flocculation of particulate impurities is a common first stage in purification of water.
This often uses addition of either aluminium or iron salts. Aluminium, particularly, has undesirable health implications.
An alternative procedure that uses a natural extract from seeds of the Moringa oleifera tree is used in Africa.
The new research describes how very small amounts of the protein from these seeds can bind strongly to surfaces and thus would cause contaminant particles to aggregate.
A co-operation with the University of Botswana where there is a long interest in exploiting natural products has led to a research project that provides important insight in to the way that protein molecules from the Moringa oleifera seeds interact, binding strongly both to each other and surfaces so as to cause aggregation in to large lumps that are readily removed from the water.
“It is nice to see how the basic interactions of molecules can play a role in solving practical problems,” said Adrian Rennie, Professor at the Department of Physics and Astronomy at Uppsala University.
"Understanding of the process may lead to further development in water purification with materials that are locally available and environmentally friendly,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part II
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy? - Part III
- Navjot Singh Sidhu is still in the party: Punjab BJP chief
- Youth arrested from Parbhani for suspected ISIS links
- Shocking! UP man caught having sexual relationship with 140 women, which includes lady police officer - READ
- Do not intervene in South China Sea dispute: China tells Japan
- Nepal PM KP Sharma Oli steps down