Most comprehensive study ever done on ice completed
Washington: In a new study, researchers have analysed all types of ice and the structures and chemical and physical processes where it is involved, from climate change and the origin of life to its presence in the atmosphere and comets.
Researchers at the Instituto Andaluz de Ciencias de la Tierra and other CSIC institutes have published the most comprehensive study ever done on ice in the world.
According to the authors of the study, it addresses the most important contemporary issues in a field of research that is “red hot”.
This study reviews recent international research studies on ice in terms of ice types and the structures and chemical and physical processes where ice is involved. This is the most comprehensive study ever done on all ice types and their properties.
The scientists Julyan Cartwright and Ignacio Sainz Díaz at the Instituto Andaluz de Ciencias de la Tierra (a joint center of the University of Granada and the Spanish Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Científicas, CSIC) are some of the participants in this study.
“Ice can adopt a wide variety of forms when it is formed at extremely low temperatures an pressures, or when it forms in comets, planets or dust particles in the interstellar space,” Diaz said.
The same researchers affirm that “ice can affect the chemical and physical properties of the atmosphere –as it can form clouds– and large ice sheets”.
Ice can also play “a major role” in climate change and even in the origin of life, as some theories place the origin of the first living things on Earth in oceanic ice sheets. Finally, the article also analyses the presence of ice on Mars or in comets.
If ice was better known, “it would contribute to understand a wide range of scientific phenomena”, Diaz said.
The article also analyses why avalanches cannot be predicted yet.
“Snowslides are caused by a change in the inner structure of ice particles in the bonds of layers that are physically different. Such changes cause top layers to slide off the bottom layers. However, at present, the stability of top layers cannot be determined yet,” the Instituto Andaluz de Ciencias de la Tierra researcher said.
The study has been recently in journal Reviews of Modern Physics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly