`Mountain specific planning need of the hour`
Nainital: A mountain specific planning is the need of the hour to ensure the flow of ecosystem services such as clean drinking water and decomposition of wastes,
according to Prof Martin Price, a 2007 Nobel Peace Prize winner.
"As mountains cover 24 per cent of the land surface, a mountain specific planning is needed to ensure the flow of ecosystem services," he said.
"Mountains provide valuable ecosystem services at local, regional and global levels. The climate change adaptation measures need to be developed with an ecosystem
approach," Prof Price said at the inauguration of the International Geographical Union`s conference on `Local and regional responses to Globalisation in the Mountains and
Marginal areas of the World`.
About 12 per cent of the humanity reside in mountains and it has been estimated that about 50 per cent of the rural mountain population in developing countries are vulnerable to food security, the Nobel laureate, also the Director of Centre for Mountain Studies, UK, said.
During the keynote address on the occasion Dr Andreas Schild, Director General of International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development, Nepal, said that receding
glaciers is a major cause of concern and called for a collaboration of efforts between science and development sectors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried