Multi disciplinary team visits Ocean Lake Gyaam Tsona
Gangtok: The Department of Forest, Environment and Wildlife Management successfully conducted the first ever multi-disciplinary team expedition to Ocean Lake Gyam Tsona, Gurudongmar Tso and Tso Lhamo, in Sikkim’s cold desert in North Sikkim, official sources said today.
The team included officers and young scientists from Department of Mines & Geology, Science & Technology, Ecclesiastical Affairs, Sikkim Government College, Botanical Survey of India, State Pollution Control Board, Sikkim Biodiversity Conservation & Forest Management Project (SBFP) researchers, State Biodiversity Board / Biodiversity Research Wing and Territorial Circle, the sources said.
The 18-member team collected samples of water, soil, rocks, flora and documented fauna from these three lakes which are the sources of Sikkim’s lifeline Teesta from September three to seven, a press release issued by Principal Research Officer, Forest department, Usha Ganguli-Lachungpa said.
A more in-depth study was conducted around the Gyam Tsona and its feeder spring Mirdo (flintstone), to check its Tethys origin, ecological importance, reason for its brackishness and existing efforts to revive this dying lake, the release said.
It would take a while to complete the investigations, but one of the highlights of the tour was a find by one of the army officials of the enormous antlers of the Sikkim Stag or Tibet Red Deer, (known to be extinct from present day Sikkim limits) from the dried lake bed, the release mentions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray