Mysterious purple spheres pop up in US desert
London: Thousands of tiny purple spheres have mysteriously popped up in the middle of America`s Arizona desert, completely isolated from the rest of the terrain.
Tuscon residents Geradine Vargas and her husband discovered the strange growth on Sunday during a walk. "We were taking photos around the area and we just ... I mean, how could you miss this?" Geradine said. "It was just like glittering in the sun."
"We did email a friend of ours who`s a zoologist, but she didn`t know," said a Daily Mail report, quoting Gerardine as having told KGUN-9, a news station in Tuscon. "I mean, she didn`t seem to recognise what it was."
The news station checked out the spheres, reporting that they were like "gooey marbles that ooze out a water substance when squished".
Darlene Buhrow, director of marketing for Tucson Botanical Gardens, said that after speaking to a botanist he learned that if the spheres are naturally occurring, they could be a slime mold or jelly fungus.
Others suggest they are some products like Deco Beads which are small, coloured, water-filled balls designed to keep plants hydrated. However, that does little to explain why thousands of them would have been put in the desert.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP