Mysterious purple spheres pop up in US desert
London: Thousands of tiny purple spheres have mysteriously popped up in the middle of America`s Arizona desert, completely isolated from the rest of the terrain.
Tuscon residents Geradine Vargas and her husband discovered the strange growth on Sunday during a walk. "We were taking photos around the area and we just ... I mean, how could you miss this?" Geradine said. "It was just like glittering in the sun."
"We did email a friend of ours who`s a zoologist, but she didn`t know," said a Daily Mail report, quoting Gerardine as having told KGUN-9, a news station in Tuscon. "I mean, she didn`t seem to recognise what it was."
The news station checked out the spheres, reporting that they were like "gooey marbles that ooze out a water substance when squished".
Darlene Buhrow, director of marketing for Tucson Botanical Gardens, said that after speaking to a botanist he learned that if the spheres are naturally occurring, they could be a slime mold or jelly fungus.
Others suggest they are some products like Deco Beads which are small, coloured, water-filled balls designed to keep plants hydrated. However, that does little to explain why thousands of them would have been put in the desert.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Apple devices failing more than Android smartphones: Study
- Piers Morgan vs Indian Twitter: The battle isn't over yet as UK journalist provokes fans with THIS tweet
- Dev Patel's 'Lion' to release in Australia
- SC's ultimatum to DLF: Give possession to Panchkula Valley home buyers by Nov 30
- In Haryana's Mewat, half a dozen men kill couple, gang-rape two relatives