Mysterious purple spheres pop up in US desert
London: Thousands of tiny purple spheres have mysteriously popped up in the middle of America`s Arizona desert, completely isolated from the rest of the terrain.
Tuscon residents Geradine Vargas and her husband discovered the strange growth on Sunday during a walk. "We were taking photos around the area and we just ... I mean, how could you miss this?" Geradine said. "It was just like glittering in the sun."
"We did email a friend of ours who`s a zoologist, but she didn`t know," said a Daily Mail report, quoting Gerardine as having told KGUN-9, a news station in Tuscon. "I mean, she didn`t seem to recognise what it was."
The news station checked out the spheres, reporting that they were like "gooey marbles that ooze out a water substance when squished".
Darlene Buhrow, director of marketing for Tucson Botanical Gardens, said that after speaking to a botanist he learned that if the spheres are naturally occurring, they could be a slime mold or jelly fungus.
Others suggest they are some products like Deco Beads which are small, coloured, water-filled balls designed to keep plants hydrated. However, that does little to explain why thousands of them would have been put in the desert.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal