Mysterious purple spheres pop up in US desert
London: Thousands of tiny purple spheres have mysteriously popped up in the middle of America`s Arizona desert, completely isolated from the rest of the terrain.
Tuscon residents Geradine Vargas and her husband discovered the strange growth on Sunday during a walk. "We were taking photos around the area and we just ... I mean, how could you miss this?" Geradine said. "It was just like glittering in the sun."
"We did email a friend of ours who`s a zoologist, but she didn`t know," said a Daily Mail report, quoting Gerardine as having told KGUN-9, a news station in Tuscon. "I mean, she didn`t seem to recognise what it was."
The news station checked out the spheres, reporting that they were like "gooey marbles that ooze out a water substance when squished".
Darlene Buhrow, director of marketing for Tucson Botanical Gardens, said that after speaking to a botanist he learned that if the spheres are naturally occurring, they could be a slime mold or jelly fungus.
Others suggest they are some products like Deco Beads which are small, coloured, water-filled balls designed to keep plants hydrated. However, that does little to explain why thousands of them would have been put in the desert.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31