Nandankanan zoo closes white tiger safari to visitors
Bhubaneswar: Odisha`s Nandankanan Zoo has closed its white tiger safari to tourists for an indefinite period after a wild tiger walked into it, in probable search of a mate, an official said Wednesday.
The seven-year-old Royal Bengal tiger, who had been roaming in the nearby area creating panic among people, walked from the wild into the white tiger safari of the zoo near Bhubaneswar Monday night.
"We have shut the white tiger safari to tourists for safety reasons. Spread over 12 hectares, the safari is home to about 24 tigers; eight of them are white," zoo assistant director Kamal Lochan Purohit told IANS.
An environment that is conducive has been created for the new tiger so that it roams freely within the safari area. Besides, the tigers of the zoo have been kept at a safe distance from the new big cat, he said.
Nandankanan Biological Park, literally meaning `The Garden of Heaven`, is spread over 425 hectares. It has over 1,200 animals and offers a first-of-its-kind white tiger safari.
The other area of the zoo, however, continues to remain open to tourists as usual, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'