National Green Tribunal to be set up: Ramesh
Bhopal: A National Green Tribunal that would
have special courts to try cases related to environment and
forest, would be set up once Parliament gives its nod, Union
Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh said Friday.
"The discussion of setting up National Green Tribunal has
already begun in Parliament and once both the Houses gives
approvals, specialised courts for trying cases under
environment and forest laws will be set up in the country,"
Ramesh told reporters after the seventh convocation of the
Indian Institute of Forest Management (IIFM).
"It will be like circuit-bench of the courts and four
such benches in different regions of the country including
Bhopal will be set up," he said.
The Minister expressed hope that it will become
operational by the end of this year.
Referring to the formation of National Environment
Protection Agency (NEPA), he said he will present a Bill
for the same in Parliament in August and this will take care
of implementation of laws related to environment.
He clarified that after NEPA comes into existence, the
Central and State Pollution Control Boards will focus on
testing aspects while monitoring of environmental laws,
licensing and administrative part would come under the purview
To a question on the division of Environment and Forest
Ministry, he said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh is also of the
opinion that under the ministry separate departments of forest
and wildlife and environment should be created so that both
can focus on their respective fields in a better way.
The Minister also informed that for the first time in
the country the 13th Finance Commission has granted a special
grant of Rs 5,000 crore to the states for the conservation of
forests, adding the states can consider it a `Green Bonus`.
The IIFM report played a crucial role in getting this
Rs 5,000 crore grant, Ramesh said.
As demanded by the Chief Ministers of Madhya Pradesh,
Chhattisgarh, Himachal Pradesh and Orissa among others that
they should get more funds for retaining forest cover, MP has
been provided Rs 490 crore for the conservation of forest and
wildlife, he said.
After Arunachal Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh got the maximum
allocation for the conservation of its forest and wildlife,
the Minister said.
He also said he has sent a proposal to President Pratibha
Patil that like police, forest officials and employees should
also be awarded with President`s Gallantry Medal on Republic
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'