`Nearly 1000 fish species threatened with extinction`
Geneva: More than 1,000 freshwater fish
species are threatened with extinction, reflecting the strain
on global water resources, an updated global "Red List" of
endangered species showed on Tuesday.
The list by the International Union for Conservation of
Nature (IUCN) is the most respected inventory of biodiversity
covering more than 47,000 of the world`s species.
Scientists looked at 3,120 freshwater fish this year, 510
more than a year ago. They found that 1,147, or a third, are
now threatened with extinction.
"Creatures living in freshwater have long been
neglected," said Jean-Christophe Vie, deputy head of species
programme at the IUCN.
"This year we have again added a large number of them to
the IUCN Red List and are confirming the high levels of threat
to many freshwater animals and plants.
"This reflects the state of our previous water resources.
There is now an urgency to pursue our effort but more
importantly, to start using this information to move towards a
wise use of water resources."
The scientists also added 1,360 species of dragonflies
and damselflies to the Red List, and found that out of 1,989
in all, 261 were at risk of disappearing.
Overall, this year`s survey found that over a third, or
17,291 species out of 47,677 assessed are now threatened with
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit
- Global stocks extend losses, sterling near 30-year lows in Brexit aftermath
- Gunbattle breaks out between security forces, militants in J&K's Kupwara
- American Senator wants US to stop issuing visas to Indians
- Kareena Kapoor Khan looks unapologetically sexy on the cover of Vogue India – See pic