Nearly 300 rhinos killed in South Africa this year
Pretoria: A total of 281 rhinos have been poached in South Africa this year, and 176 people arrested for the killings, state-run news agency reported.
According to the Department of Environmental Affairs, the Kruger National Park - with an area of over 19,000 square km, has lost 164 rhinos to poaching.
The provinces of Limpopo, North West, Mpumalanga and KwaZulu-Natal accounted for 110 of the total rhinos poached since the beginning of this year.
The arrested criminals include 153 poachers, 10 receivers, six buyers and seven exporters, the department said.
The South African government has put out an emergency phoe number and urged people to report incidents of poaching or tip-offs that could lead to arrests and prevention of killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Woman set ablaze in UP, Akhilesh orders magisterial probe
- Shahid Kapoor-Mira Rajput wedding: Check out their first picture as a couple!
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- No bomb found on Turkish Airlines flight which made emergency landing in Delhi