Nearly 300 rhinos killed in South Africa this year
Pretoria: A total of 281 rhinos have been poached in South Africa this year, and 176 people arrested for the killings, state-run news agency reported.
According to the Department of Environmental Affairs, the Kruger National Park - with an area of over 19,000 square km, has lost 164 rhinos to poaching.
The provinces of Limpopo, North West, Mpumalanga and KwaZulu-Natal accounted for 110 of the total rhinos poached since the beginning of this year.
The arrested criminals include 153 poachers, 10 receivers, six buyers and seven exporters, the department said.
The South African government has put out an emergency phoe number and urged people to report incidents of poaching or tip-offs that could lead to arrests and prevention of killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!