Nearly 300 rhinos killed in South Africa this year
Pretoria: A total of 281 rhinos have been poached in South Africa this year, and 176 people arrested for the killings, state-run news agency reported.
According to the Department of Environmental Affairs, the Kruger National Park - with an area of over 19,000 square km, has lost 164 rhinos to poaching.
The provinces of Limpopo, North West, Mpumalanga and KwaZulu-Natal accounted for 110 of the total rhinos poached since the beginning of this year.
The arrested criminals include 153 poachers, 10 receivers, six buyers and seven exporters, the department said.
The South African government has put out an emergency phoe number and urged people to report incidents of poaching or tip-offs that could lead to arrests and prevention of killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Meet Kirti Bharti, the new topper of Bihar Intermediate exams in Arts stream!
- Agra boy seeks PM Modi, CM Akhilesh's help for his blood cancer treatment
- Armoured cars now mandatory to accompany security forces in Kashmir
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security
- Panel discussion on breaking the law over cow security - Part II
- Haryana RS elections: Experts question delay in raising objection to Election Commission
- WATCH: This is how Iceland celebrated victory over England with their fans. Goosebumps!
- Guess who? Angered by film failure, this actor breaks hotel furniture
- Determined Sonakshi Sinha's first 'Akira' poster looks intriguing! – Pic inside
- Turkey allows more patrol flights on Syria border by NATO allies: Official