Nearly 600 rhinos killed in South Africa this year
Pretoria: South Africa has lost a total of 588 rhinos to poaching since January, state-run news agency SA News reported.
A total of 246 people have been arrested in this connection, according to the Department of Environmental Affairs.
The Kruger National Park has lost a maximum of 362 rhinos to poaching.
The North West, KwaZulu-Natal and Limpopo provinces continue to be targets for poachers, collectively accounting for the loss of 186 rhinos.
According to the department, in 2010 a total of 333 were poached.
Of the arrested people, 217 were poachers, 18 couriers and 11 receivers.
The department has asked the public to report incidents of poaching or any tip-offs that could lead to arrests and prevent such illegal killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Govt exploring ways to bring petro products under GST: Pradhan
- Bajaj V sales cross 1-lakh mark within 4 months of launch
- BJP leader Ram Sevak Nishad killed in accident
- Call drops: Telcos commit Rs 20,000 crore for towers, seek new spectrum
- England vs Pakistan 2nd Test, Day 4 at Old Trafford – As it happened..