Nearly 600 rhinos killed in South Africa this year
Pretoria: South Africa has lost a total of 588 rhinos to poaching since January, state-run news agency SA News reported.
A total of 246 people have been arrested in this connection, according to the Department of Environmental Affairs.
The Kruger National Park has lost a maximum of 362 rhinos to poaching.
The North West, KwaZulu-Natal and Limpopo provinces continue to be targets for poachers, collectively accounting for the loss of 186 rhinos.
According to the department, in 2010 a total of 333 were poached.
Of the arrested people, 217 were poachers, 18 couriers and 11 receivers.
The department has asked the public to report incidents of poaching or any tip-offs that could lead to arrests and prevent such illegal killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- 2nd Test, Centurion: South Africa vs New Zealand - Preview
- US Open 2016: Serena Williams shoulders burden of history at Flushing Meadows
- Shahid Kapoor opens up about his Bollywood struggle! - Read more
- WATCH: Mother mercilessly beats her infant son, tries to strangulate him in Bareilly
- Premier League 2016-17: Gameweek 3 - Preview