Nearly 600 rhinos killed in South Africa this year
Pretoria: South Africa has lost a total of 588 rhinos to poaching since January, state-run news agency SA News reported.
A total of 246 people have been arrested in this connection, according to the Department of Environmental Affairs.
The Kruger National Park has lost a maximum of 362 rhinos to poaching.
The North West, KwaZulu-Natal and Limpopo provinces continue to be targets for poachers, collectively accounting for the loss of 186 rhinos.
According to the department, in 2010 a total of 333 were poached.
Of the arrested people, 217 were poachers, 18 couriers and 11 receivers.
The department has asked the public to report incidents of poaching or any tip-offs that could lead to arrests and prevent such illegal killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends