Nearly 600 rhinos killed in South Africa this year
Pretoria: South Africa has lost a total of 588 rhinos to poaching since January, state-run news agency SA News reported.
A total of 246 people have been arrested in this connection, according to the Department of Environmental Affairs.
The Kruger National Park has lost a maximum of 362 rhinos to poaching.
The North West, KwaZulu-Natal and Limpopo provinces continue to be targets for poachers, collectively accounting for the loss of 186 rhinos.
According to the department, in 2010 a total of 333 were poached.
Of the arrested people, 217 were poachers, 18 couriers and 11 receivers.
The department has asked the public to report incidents of poaching or any tip-offs that could lead to arrests and prevent such illegal killings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured