Need for clean technology to produce green energy: Sangma
Guwahati: Calling for investments in clean energy sector, Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma Monday said there is a need to identify ways to adopt clean technologies and produce green energy.
"Only burning fossil fuels and producing energy without addressing the climate issues would lead to environment degradation, so it is important to identify ways to adopt clean technologies and produce green energy," Sangma said at the inauguration of First North East CleanTech summit here.
It is very important that the issue of climate change was addressed while producing energy and in North Eastern states like Arunachal Pradesh and Meghalaya, wind map could be prepared and tapped to harness wind energy, he said.
"The Centre has given special focus on clean energy sector and capitalising on it, the state governments have taken initiatives and supported it," the chief minister said.
"We have started with solar projects and could cut production cost in recent times and now my team is looking to partner small hydro power projects," he added.
The Summit was organised by the Indian Chamber of Commerce (ICC) in collaboration with the Department for Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development, Canada and supported by Oil India Limited.
Those who attended the summit include Head of the Canadian Delegation Sector practice Lead-Cleantech, Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Dennis O Connor and Deputy Commercial Programme Manager, High Commission of Canada in India Rosaline Kwan, among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them