Need for clean technology to produce green energy: Sangma
Guwahati: Calling for investments in clean energy sector, Meghalaya Chief Minister Mukul Sangma Monday said there is a need to identify ways to adopt clean technologies and produce green energy.
"Only burning fossil fuels and producing energy without addressing the climate issues would lead to environment degradation, so it is important to identify ways to adopt clean technologies and produce green energy," Sangma said at the inauguration of First North East CleanTech summit here.
It is very important that the issue of climate change was addressed while producing energy and in North Eastern states like Arunachal Pradesh and Meghalaya, wind map could be prepared and tapped to harness wind energy, he said.
"The Centre has given special focus on clean energy sector and capitalising on it, the state governments have taken initiatives and supported it," the chief minister said.
"We have started with solar projects and could cut production cost in recent times and now my team is looking to partner small hydro power projects," he added.
The Summit was organised by the Indian Chamber of Commerce (ICC) in collaboration with the Department for Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development, Canada and supported by Oil India Limited.
Those who attended the summit include Head of the Canadian Delegation Sector practice Lead-Cleantech, Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Dennis O Connor and Deputy Commercial Programme Manager, High Commission of Canada in India Rosaline Kwan, among others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Sonia Gandhi answer RSS's claim of igniting riots in the country?
- DNA: Only 4% of Indian polpulation pays income tax
- Police arrest person accused of abducting woman in Bengaluru
- Scientists find three Earth-sized planets orbiting dwarf star
- Kerala: Dalit law student brutally raped, murdered in Ernakulam
- Funny video: Squirrel taunts house cat through glass door – Watch
- L&T Finance terminates over 500 employees citing poor performance
- Illegal mining scam: BJP Karnataka president Yeddyurappa becomes teary-eyed in CBI court
- Adorable! This cute baby goes to bed with his best mate dog – Watch video
- Supreme Court to consider NEET exemption applications on Tuesday