Need for precise information on climate change: Shyam Saran
New Delhi: Against the backdrop of an IPCC
report making a wrong conclusion about Himalayan glaciers
melting, Prime Minister`s Special Envoy on Climate Change
Shyam Saran on Monday harped on more research to generate precise
information on the matter.
"It is clear that climate is changing. Now we need precise
information on the subject," he said.
Saran`s views assume significance in the wake of a report
of the intergovernmental panel on climate change (IPCC)
wrongly concluding that the glaciers in the Himalayas will
disappear by 2035 due to global warming. IPCC chief R K
Pachauri has admitted that the mistake cropped up due to a
Saran, however, defended Pachauri and said he should not
step down from his post.
"Pachauri has played an important role in raising
awareness not only in India but also internationally. He is
highly respected internationally. Just because one mistake has
occurred in a particular report, he should not step down,"
Saran told reporters on the sidelines of a conference on
`Climate Change` organised by the Ministry of Earth Sciences.
He said the IPCC report should not be termed as wrong just
because of one mistake in it.
To a question whether Bt Brinjal farming should be allowed
in India, Saran said, "I do not have any view about Bt Brinjal
because I do not deal with this issue."
The conference stressed on production of more literature
in Hindi to create awareness on the subject.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark