New albino spider species `found`
Melbourne: Scientists claim to have found a new species of trap-door spider -- the albino spider – near Northam in Australia.
The white-headed, black and brown-legged spider about
the size of a 50-cent piece is now with the Western Australia
Senior curator of arachnology Dr Mark Harvey says
subtle differences on the pedipalp and front leg of the male
indicated it was a new type of spider.
He said: "The pedipalp is used to transfer sperm to the
female during mating and the front legs are used to lift her
"Comparing the sizes of the processes and the number of
small spines on these structures with other species of white-
headed trap-door spiders shows sufficient differences to
conclude it is a new species."
Dr Harvey says that the new spider species has a very
small natural range that has been affected by land clearing
and it may simply be hanging on in small remnant vegetation
"The spiders make burrows in the soil that have tight-
fitting trap-door lids. These lids are often difficult to see
and the spiders can remain undetected without careful
observations. Once the males mature, they leave their burrows
and wander in search of females."
While the new spider is yet to be officially named, Dr
Harvey says that it adds a small piece to the overall giant
biodiversity jigsaw puzzle. "It`s cool to see such a strangely
coloured spider," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Funny video alert! Nana Patekar’s ‘Beat Pe Booty’ mashup is hilarious
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS