New albino spider species `found`
Melbourne: Scientists claim to have found a new species of trap-door spider -- the albino spider – near Northam in Australia.
The white-headed, black and brown-legged spider about
the size of a 50-cent piece is now with the Western Australia
Senior curator of arachnology Dr Mark Harvey says
subtle differences on the pedipalp and front leg of the male
indicated it was a new type of spider.
He said: "The pedipalp is used to transfer sperm to the
female during mating and the front legs are used to lift her
"Comparing the sizes of the processes and the number of
small spines on these structures with other species of white-
headed trap-door spiders shows sufficient differences to
conclude it is a new species."
Dr Harvey says that the new spider species has a very
small natural range that has been affected by land clearing
and it may simply be hanging on in small remnant vegetation
"The spiders make burrows in the soil that have tight-
fitting trap-door lids. These lids are often difficult to see
and the spiders can remain undetected without careful
observations. Once the males mature, they leave their burrows
and wander in search of females."
While the new spider is yet to be officially named, Dr
Harvey says that it adds a small piece to the overall giant
biodiversity jigsaw puzzle. "It`s cool to see such a strangely
coloured spider," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch