New animals and birds for Delhi zoo
New Delhi: A pair of ostrich, two hyenas, chinkaras and a pair of owl are among the animals to have come to the Delhi zoo from Thiruvananthapuram and Bilaspur zoos.
As a part of the inter-zoo exchange programme, the Delhi Zoo has acquired new animals and birds and sent some of its own, zoo authorities said.
While a pair each of ostrich, hyena, chinkara and owl have already come here, black swans and one male Jaguar are also set to arrive here from Thiruvananthapuram, zoo curator (education) Riyaz Khan said.
The National Zoological Park is also set to get a male rhinoceros from the Kanpur zoo by the end of this month.
The male Rhinoceros to be brought from Kanpur is particularly important for boosting the rhino numbers in the zoo as Shiva, a one-horned male rhino procured from Mumbai last year has been unable to mate and is ageing.
Currently, the Delhi zoo homes 1,556 animals of 110 different species.
These animal exchanges are a routine process necessary to reduce inbreeding among animals and to facilitate blood exchange among species.
"In any zoo, there is largely one particular species, as they breed their offspring subsequently breed among themselves. As a result of inbreeding, there will soon be a stage when animals are closely related therefore, animal exchanges are required," said Dr Rahul Kaul, Chief Ecologist, Wildlife Trust of India.
Animal exchange is also imperative to negate the effect of bad genes which may get amplified and to further the rate of animal survival. However, the animals being exchanged must belong to the same variety of a particular species, he said.
Delhi Zoo is one of the oldest in the country and was established in 1959 under the patronage of Jawaharlal Nehru and attracts a scores of visitors every day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview